Cherry Bliss Avocado Mousse
I am a sucker for chocolate. Honestly, there really isn’t a chocolate dessert that I don’t like. Yes, I eat dessert! Seriously, what’s life without chocolate?!?. The majority of the time, however, I choose healthier dessert options, that are more balanced; that include fiber, healthy fat, a little protein, and are low in refined, added sugar; 73% dark chocolate with almonds or black bean brownies and this recipe deliver on those exact principles (Note: I’ll be posting a new mango black bean brownie recipe soon. So, stay tuned). This cherry bliss avocado mousse is so rich and creamy. On top of that, there’s no refined sugar, as the cherries and dates provide natural sweetness. This mousse is packed with fiber, which allows you to enjoy this sweet treat without the sugar crash.
But, I know you’re questioning avocado in a dessert. Trust me on this. The healthy fat of the avocado provides a velvety, rich texture, and you can’t taste the avocado at all. What you’ll taste is the sweetness of the cherry and the richness of cocao.
If you’re not familiar, cocao is the actual plant from which cocoa and chocolate are derived. Raw cacao is a powerful antioxidant, containing four times more antioxidant power than dark chocolate, which helps protect our cells from damage. Even more impressive, raw cacao is low in sugar, at only 1 gram per 1/2 cup, contains protein, essential fatty acids and an abundance of vitamins and minerals. This powerful food, which the Spanish called “black gold”, has been linked to numerous health benefits, such as lowering inflammation, LDL cholesterol, improved heart function and reduced cancer risk.
You can do all types of things with raw cocao. Add it to brownies, cookies and smoothies; make energy bites or chocolate milk (more recipes to come on these too!). I used Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cocao, which you can purchase at most whole food stores, some Target stores, or online.
This mousse is the answer to your chocolate fix! So, give it a try and as always, please let me know how you liked it.
Cherry Bliss Avocado Mousse
Prep time: 15 mins| Cook time: 0 mins | Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 8 (~1/2 cup per serving)
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted, soaked overnight
- 2 1/4 cup frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium avocados, mashed
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder (I used Navitas Naturals)
- 1/8 cup water
- Place the dates in a mason jar, or other container with tight fitting lid and cover with at least 1/2 cup of water. Soak the dates for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Reserve the soaking water and set aside. Do not discard the water after removing the dates.
- Place 2 1/4 cups frozen cherries a mason jar, or other container with tight fitting lid, cover and thaw in the refrigerator. Reserve the thawed cherry juice and set aside. Do not discard the cherry juice after removing the cherries.
- Place the dates, cherries and pure vanilla extract into a food processor and process until smooth. I used a 3.5 cup KitchenAide mini-food processor.
- Add the mashed avocado, cacao powder and process until creamy. Stop and scrape down the sides with a silicone spatula a few times, as needed.
- Add the reserved juice from the frozen cherries, and process until smooth. Next, a tablespoon at a time, add the reserved water used to soak the dates, and process until smooth. I added 3 tablespoons total, however, add until you achieve the mousse consistency you'd like.
- Chill the mousse in the refrigerator for about an hour, then serve. You can also serve at room temperature, but I think the flavors meld together even more after chilling. You can also make fun fudgesicles, by freezing the mousse in ice cube trays or a popsicle mold. Enjoy!
148 calories (57 from fat), 6g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 2g protein