Almond Coconut Chicken
This may be the most tender and flavorful chicken I’ve ever made! The inspiration came from Laura Prepon’s appearance on the Today show. I’ve modified her recipe to reduce the fat, salt and toned down the coconut flavor, as coconut is a little polarizing for some. The key is to marinate the chicken in unsweetened coconut milk for at least 30 minutes (but longer if possible). You can buy unsweetened coconut milk at most grocery stores, or use almond milk if you don’t like coconut flavor. Pick up some cauliflower rice from Trade Joe’s, season it and roast it for an easy side. Feel free to make any of my recipes your own!! I hope you love it as much as I do!! Please let me know what you think.
Almond Coconut Chicken
Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 45 mins | Total time: 75 mins (1 hr 15 mins)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (preferably)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup almond flour (almond meal)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Place 2 cups of coconut milk into a bowl, add the chicken breasts and a pinch of sea salt, and marinate in the fridge for 30 mins (If you have time, marinating overnight is even better).
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Mix the almond flour, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and remaining sea salt in a bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the coconut milk, and dredge the chicken in the almond flour mixture, one breast at a time.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and pour a small amount of coconut milk onto the sheet (just enough to slightly coat the bottom of the baking sheet).
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and press the chopped almonds onto the breasts (spread them evenly onto each chicken breast). Lightly spray one side of parchment paper with olive oil and cover the chicken with the parchment paper (olive oil side down).
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes, remove the parchment paper and bake for an additional 15 minutes (total baking time of 45 minutes).
Nutrition Info (per serving)
258 calories (99 from fat), 11g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 17mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 27g protein